Reopened in Minutes; the Tube Doors Did Not
20.08.2026
UK: Police carried out a controlled explosion on an unattended car outside London St Pancras on Aug. 18. The station was briefly evacuated, and Eurostar later said the incident caused no delays to its trains.

The silver car was parked outside St Pancras when police responded to concerns about the vehicle and carried out a controlled explosion as a precaution, according to Euronews. The Metropolitan Police later declared the incident non-suspicious.
Don’t miss… Virgin Clears Another Hurdle in Eurostar Challenge
Three closures, three different durations
The alert is easier to follow if the three affected assets are separated, because they were not closed for the same reasons or for the same length of time.
| What closed | Why | Duration |
|---|---|---|
| St Pancras International concourse | Precautionary evacuation during the assessment | Around 15 minutes |
| Main and North entrances, King’s Cross St Pancras Tube | Closed at Met Police request | About 45 minutes; access restored at 15:24 |
| Pancras Road | Cordon around the vehicle | Exact reopening time not published |
Transport for London reported the entrance closures at about 14:39 and confirmed that access had been fully restored at 15:24. The Underground station remained in full operation while its Main and North entrances were closed.
Why police used a controlled explosion
A controlled explosion is a precautionary action by bomb-disposal specialists, not confirmation that an explosive device has been found. Police have not disclosed the exact method used at St Pancras or what initially caused concern about the vehicle.
The Metropolitan Police declared the incident non-suspicious after the operation. Published images show damage to the rear of the car, but police have not released further details about the vehicle or its owner.
What the coverage disagrees about
Some reports said the incident delayed Eurostar and domestic rail services. Eurostar’s final position was that no delays to its trains resulted from the incident, although an earlier passenger notice warned of a delay because police assistance had been requested at St Pancras.
East Midlands Railway was also reporting disruption across its network, while National Rail later said trains were running normally after emergency services cleared the railway. The available reports do not provide enough timetable data to determine which domestic delays were caused solely by the security operation.
The safest conclusion is therefore narrower: Eurostar said its trains were not delayed by the incident, but the wider St Pancras rail operation was not necessarily disruption-free.
News on railway transport, industry, and railway technologies from Railway Supply that you might have missed:
Don’t miss… Eurostar Retrofits 1990s Trains While Waiting for Its New Fleet
