Freight Ran Eight Days Before Amtrak Cascades Returned
20.08.2026
USA: Amtrak Cascades restored full Seattle–Portland service on Aug. 20 after demolition removed the collapse risk posed by Portland’s fire-damaged Centennial Mills warehouse.

All Cascades trains except Train 500 returned to normal operation on Aug. 19. Train 500 resumed on Aug. 20, restoring the full timetable; passengers booked on the canceled Aug. 19 service were accommodated on Train 502. The corridor normally has 12 trains a day between Seattle and Portland, or six round trips.
Don’t miss… Portland Detonates Centennial Mills Water Tower
Building safety, not track repairs, set the timetable
The building’s condition, rather than a failure of railroad infrastructure, determined the passenger-service timetable. Portland asked operators to suspend trains through the collapse zone, then advised Union Pacific, Amtrak and BNSF on Aug. 18 that the structure no longer posed a threat to the railroad. Union Pacific had already resumed freight operations, showing that the city did not control all train movements through the area.
The City of Portland’s account explains why a fire in a disused building stopped trains at all: engineers advised the city that vibration from trains passing through the zone could destabilize the structure. All eight floors of the 116-year-old mill had collapsed internally in the Aug. 2 fire, leaving a shell beside the tracks.
The sequence at the end was tight: the water tower was brought down on Aug. 17, the rest of the building on Aug. 18, and the city said the same day that rail traffic was set to resume.
Freight came back eight days earlier
The two kinds of traffic did not return together. Union Pacific told the city on Aug. 8 that it would resume freight operations on the lines next to the building; the city called that a significant risk to health and safety. By Aug. 10 the mayor had declared an emergency, and UP had assembled a ballast shield train on the track closest to the warehouse as a physical barrier for trains passing through the collapse zone.
By Aug. 11, according to the city’s timeline, freight was running through the zone and Amtrak was not. Passenger trains remained suspended for eight more days, with buses replacing most scheduled services.
What is still closed
The demolition ended the passenger-rail disruption, not the neighborhood closures. The Fields Park remains shut with no confirmed reopening date, pending cleaning, environmental and safety checks. Northwest Naito Parkway is closed between 9th and 15th avenues to all traffic, including transit.
The site itself remains a crime scene. Investigators are still working to establish the cause of the fire and search for possible human remains. Two K9 searches on Aug. 6 produced positive alerts, and the city says there is a high likelihood that human remains are buried in the rubble. Demolition has given investigators access to areas that were previously too dangerous to enter.
News on railway transport, industry, and railway technologies from Railway Supply that you might have missed:
Don’t miss… Amtrak Extends Seattle–Portland Rail Suspension to Aug. 14
