UK: Railway Supply previously reported the Lewes derailment as it happened; the railway between Lewes and Haywards Heath will now stay shut for at least 10 more days, and the reason comes down to where the train came off the tracks, not just how badly.

    A Southern Rail Class 377 train at Lewes railway station, East Sussex, on the line affected by the August 2026 derailment
A Southern Class 377 train at Lewes railway station, East Sussex. Illustrative photo. Photo: Editor5807, CC BY 3.0.

Network Rail and Southern Rail said Sunday the closure will continue while crews recover the derailed train and repair the railway, according to a Press Association report. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch completed its on-site work Saturday and has handed the location back to Network Rail while its formal investigation continues.

Don’t miss…Southern Rail infrastructure news — UK weekly review

Why this recovery is unusually hard

Three carriages “derailed and slid part-way down the embankment” and will need to be carefully lifted away by crane, Network Rail and Southern said. The site’s location makes the work “particularly difficult”: the railway runs close to a river, sits within a site of special scientific interest, and has restricted road access through a residential area. Once the train is removed, engineers still need to assess the track damage before they can determine the full scope of repairs.

Getting around the closure

Rail replacement buses will run between Lewes and Haywards Heath, serving Cooksbridge and Plumpton, but Network Rail says the buses have limited capacity — passengers travelling to other stations are advised to route via Brighton instead. Tickets will be accepted on alternative Southern, Thameslink and Southeastern services, as well as Brighton & Hove Buses and London Underground services between London terminals. GTR chief executive John Whitehurst said the company is “working closely with Network Rail to do everything we can to keep customers moving.” Two passengers remain in hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries; the remaining 18 injured passengers have been discharged. The announcement does not specify a firm reopening date beyond the 10-day minimum.

News on railway transport, industry, and railway technologies from Railway Supply that you might have missed:

Don’t miss…HS2 Completes Six Platforms at Old Oak Common